Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Metric



Last Friday morning as I was puttering around the house, lamenting the fact that I had not bought Metric tickets before they sold out, I happened across the Mercury music blog and found that they were offering two tickets. By 11am you had to write a blog post comment on why you wanted to go. I read the responses that were currently there, and they mostly mentioned friends being in town etc. Nothing exciting. So at 10:57am I posted a comment about all the things I used to do while listening to Metric and how much I needed that level of greatness back in my life. Needless to say, I won, so Sam and I set out to see the show!!

It was rather packed, which generally leads to me watching a bunch of backs and elbows, but I did manage to score a spot where I could look between two peoples' heads. But anyway, it was exciting. Their new songs have a gentleness that persists despite quick, steady beats and heavy guitars. Emily Haines has that kind of sweet voice that you want to hear all fucked up and rough around the edges, and she delivers it. She yelled, got sweaty, chatted and danced around. I also enjoyed the lighting: harsh white, then shadowy blue, then spirally. My only complaint is that the people around us didn't dance enough. Losers.

No comments:

Post a Comment