Friday, March 16, 2012

My New Glasses

I got these frames at a hip store in Paris with Amanda. We spent a long time shopping there and then I wrote a diddy about it.



The girl at the glasses store stared hard into my face, or at least this is what I imagined. The truth was that I couldn't see a thing, but had been shopping for glasses for so many years that I could easily walk around behaving like I thought a seeing version of me might.

Her eyes were dark brown and her patterned scarf hung, bunched in exactly the right places. This I knew from memory. As I saw the light of her face turn, the shadow of eyes becoming a thoughtful dark squinch, she touched my arm, "I prefer the other."

I put on the other frames, pretending to hold her gaze, something I've been told makes me look cross-eyed. "These?" I asked, watching the gesture, a ghost of a smile, cross her lips.

I slipped my real glasses back on and found her beauty, in the sharp clarity of my rain speckled lenses, too much to look at directly. "I'll buy these," I said, folding the frames, averting my eyes, wondering how it might be if I only saw poorly all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment